Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The following short paragrpah is from Wikipedia.com. I want to write it down for future reference but I'm not sure if it's edited. Could you please take a look at it?

Dress boots are short leather boots worn by men. They are built like dress shoes, but with uppers covering the ankle. Dress boots are used instead of shoes in bad weather or rough outdoor situation, and as a traditional option for day time formalwear.
I think the "situation" is one mistake because "situation" is countable so it needs to be "situations" here. I am not sure if there are any other mistakes in the paragraph. Please help me.

The following short paragraph is from Wikipedia.com. I want to write it down for future reference but I'm not sure if it's been edited correctly. Could you please take a look at it?

I think the "situation" is one mistake because "situation" is countable so it needs to be "situations" here. I am not sure if there are any other mistakes in the paragraph. Please help me.
It should be "situations" and it's "daytime", not "day time".

(Note that I've moved this to "Ask A Teacher". The "Editing and Writing Topics" is for your own writing.

It should be "situations" and it's "daytime", not "day time".

(Note that I've moved this to "Ask A Teacher". The "Editing and Writing Topics" is for your own writing.
Much appreciated. Is the rest of the paragraph good? Do I need to change anything else in it?

Dress boots are short leather boots worn by men. They are built like dress shoes, but with uppers covering the ankle. Dress boots are used instead of shoes in bad weather or rough outdoor situations, and as a traditional option for daytime formalwear.
I re-read it again and I think "short leather" should be written as "short-leather", which works as an adjective. Do I need to use "ankles" here too because usually people have two ankels?

I re-read it again and I think "short leather" should be written as "short-leather", which works as an adjective.
No. It's not a compound adjective. They are short boots that are made of leather.
Do I need to use "ankles" here too because usually people have two ankles?
No. It's fine as it is. With clothing, we frequently use terms like "below/above the knee", "covering the ankle", "above the wrist" etc.

Back