Before they left school, they must obtained a school leaving certificate from the sch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamshing

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
before they left school, they must obtained a school leaving certificate from the school.

Is this sentence correct?

Where did you find this sentence?

before they left school, they must obtained a school leaving certificate from the school.

Is this sentence correct?

Before they left school, they must have obtained a school leaving certificate from the school.
Before they leave school, they must obtain a school leaving certificate from the school.
'
school leaving certificate' is not natural IMO. You probably meant 'diploma'
Not a teacher.

Where did you find this sentence?
I write this sentence on my own in my facebook page.

All classmates completed their final year in 1973.
All classmates were very happy, they were leaving the school very soon.
Before they left school, they must obtained a school leaving certificate from the school.
So that they could easily find jobs or further their study overseas.

When I finished written the message, I felt that I make a mistake in this sentence as above.

Fine. I'm not gonna argue, yet I don't see how the source is pertinent to the sentence in question.

PD: You shouldn't have removed my comment. I'm entitled to my opinion. Furthermore, I highly doubt the OP would have understood it.

Last edited:
Fine. I'm not [STRIKE]gonna[/STRIKE] going to argue, yet I don't see how the source is pertinent to the sentence in question.

PD: You shouldn't have removed my comment. I'm entitled to my opinion. Furthermore, I highly doubt the OP would have understood it.

Look down on - please note my change to your post above (in red). Please don't use non-standard English on this forum. We encourage all learners to use standard words so we ensure that our own posts don't use things like "gonna" and "wanna".

I don't know what "PD" means (marked in blue and underlined above).

The source does not have to be pertinent to the question (although frequently it provides extra context, which helps us to answer). However, that is irrelevant. It is a forum rule that the source and author must be provided when quoting someone else's words. The forum is based in the UK, where copyright rules are very strict.

It was entirely appropriate for your derogatory comment to be deleted. It was not helpful, it didn't go any way to answering the question and it was rude. We have learners of all levels and abilities on this forum. Your comment showed a complete lack of respect to the OP (original poster). Please refrain from making such comments in future.

How did you know what I posted? GoesStation deleted it. It's no biggie, anyway. As I stated above, the OP would not even have a clue what it meant.
Regardless, I will refrain from commenting on the level of other learners. You sounded quite upset! Lol

Any verb that immediately follows a modal verb must be in the bare infinitive form.

Thus, forms like "must obtained" are wrong.

Instead, use "must obtain" or "must have obtained", depending on which one best fits your intended meaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back