At an examination hall sheets were given to my friend and I for taking exam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

Is my sentence correct?

Were you the only two people in the hall?
What other purpose could those sheets have had?

If you had been the only candidate, would you have said '... sheets were given to I'?

Were you the only two people in the hall?
What other purpose could those sheets have had?

No. There were others as well.

So why were you the only people who were given sheets? Please answer Rover's question in post #3 too.

Then say '... sheets were given to my friend and me'.

(To be fair, you'll hear native speakers get this wrong time and time again.)

Is my sentence correct?

OK, so let's get back to the main sentence. You now know that "I" was wrong. Here are the other issues:

1) "At" is the wrong preposition at the start. Try another one.
2) You are talking about the specific examination hall you were in so the indefinite article is wrong. Try a different article.
3) "for taking exam" is wrong. For a start, it's missing an article. Try rewording "for taking" too.

OK, so let's get back to the main sentence. You now know that "I" was wrong. Here are the other issues:

1) "At" is the wrong preposition at the start. Try another one.
2) You are talking about the specific examination hall you were in so the indefinite article is wrong. Try a different article.
3) "for taking exam" is wrong. For a start, it's missing an article. Try rewording "for taking" too.

In examination hall sheets were given to my friend and me to take exam.

You have ignored the advice given by ems:

3) "for taking exam" is wrong. For a start, it's missing an article.

In the examination hall sheets were given to my friend and me to take the exam.

Is it correct now?

It's better but it's not natural. Is there a good reason you used the passive voice? Try starting with "My friend and I were ..."

It's better but it's not natural. Is there a good reason you used the passive voice? Try starting with "My friend and I were ..."

Other candidates along with my friend and I got the answer sheet at the examination hall to take exam.

What part of Try starting with "My friend and I were ... wasn't clear?!

Last edited:
Would you write "along with I"?

Sorry. I am a bit confused.

Forget the question about "along with" for now. Please try to do what I asked in post #14. Start the sentence with "My friend and I were given ...". (I've added another word to help you. It'll still be passive but the word order will be more natural.)

Forget the question about "along with" for now. Please try to do what I asked in post #14. Start the sentence with "My friend and I were given ...". (I've added another word to help you. It'll still be passive but the word order will be more natural.)

My friend and I were given the answer sheet to take exam.

Wow! I wish I'd been given the answer sheet when I took exams! They only ever gave me the question sheet and a blank sheet of paper to write on.

Two points:

1) You have missed out an article before "exam".
2) Try using "the question sheet/paper".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back