[Vocabulary] 16th podium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nearly, but no. In the last 16 appearances*, s/he has won gold, silver, or bronze.

b

PS * In major championships. In other contexts, a podium finish doesn't have to involve G/S/B medals, and doesn't involve championsahips. 'It was Hamilton's 5th podium [finish] this season'. [I know nothing about F1, so this example may be totally improbable... :eek:ops]

Last edited:
No, no... I still can't get it at all! :(

That was not a link. I havent mean tit. I just copied an example from Google. The context is freeskiing-related and the skier was Korean.

Thanks a lot.

not a teacher

In the context of Olympic Games a "podium finish" means the athlete either won a gold, silber or bronze medal.
In other contest (like the Formula 1 championship or - as you posted from Google - the MotoGP cup) a podium finish means the athlete finished the race, contest, whatever on place 1, 2 or 3.

I've never heard "podium" used like this in AmE. Horses that finish 1st, 2nd, or 3rd (i.e. win, place or show) are said to finish "in the money."

Last edited:
not a teacher

In the context of Olympic Games a "podium finish" means the athlete either won a gold, silber or bronze medal.
In other contest (like the Formula 1 championship or - as you posted from Google - the MotoGP cup) a podium finish means the athlete finished the race, contest, whatever on place 1, 2 or 3.

So what is 16th podium?:oops:

This person has made it to the podium 16 times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back