Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Would you imagine the same thing when you heard these or do they somehow mean different things? Thanks!
  1. It's called the FCC, the Future Circular Collider, which, of course, you have to change after you finish it.
  2. It's called the FCC, the Future Circular Collider, which, of course, you have to change after you've built it.

As always please tell us the source and author of any words you quote. If you wrote them yourself, please make that clear,

It's from here. I'm wondering about the choice of "after they've built it" and if "after they finish it" would make a difference.

No, he means the name will change after it is built/finished.
I'm sorry, what does your "no" mean here? Do you mean that "after they finish it" instead of "after they've built it" wouldn't make a difference in meaning there? Did I understand correctly?

You asked if it would make a difference whether "built" or "finished" was used there.

(I don't really get paid by the post.)

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back