You don't have to answer either of the questions.

Idk2222

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Germany
Are these sentences correct in American English? Let's say someone e asks you two questions about your private life and then they add:

You don't have to answer either of the questions.
Or
You have to answer neither of the questions.

Are these sentences correct?

Both are grammatically possible, but only the first is natural.

Ty but why? What's wrong with the second one?

Also, please if you're not a native speaker, don't answer. Hope I am not offending you.

Ty but why?
Please write the words 'Thank you' in full in future. We like our members to see examples of good English.
What's wrong with the second one?
It begins with 'You have to', leading to the expectation that an obligation is following.
Also, please if you're not a native speaker, don't answer.
All members are free to respond to any question if they believe they know the answer.

Last edited:
Hope I am not offending you.
If I were not a native speaker, I would be offended. Some of our non-native-speaking members give better responses than some native speakers.

Are these sentences correct in American English? Let's say someone e asks you two questions about your private life and then they add:

1.You don't have to answer either of the questions.
Or
2. You have to answer neither of the questions.

Are these sentences correct?
Note my improvement to the layout above, and that I moved your question to the main body of the thread and improved your thread title.

Reactions: 5jj
Note my improvement to the layout above, and that I moved your question to the main body of the thread and improved your thread title.
But which one is correct then???

Did you not read posts #2 and #5?

Three things. One, we normally ask one question at a time. (The standard line is, "You don't have to answer that if you don't want to.") Two, try: "You don't have to answer either question." Three, it is very odd to insist that a person not answer a question. (The second sentence states that the person is required to answer neither question.)

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back