[Grammar] Which books to use for this purpose?

• Thread starter Unregistered
  • Start date
  • Views : 2,851
Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

Hi all.

I am a non-native english learner. I will say that my english is average. I want to improve. I need some good english grammar books. These books must have detailed english grammar. Can anyone suggests some good books for following purposes:

A) Basic English Grammar. (Explains syntax. Some exercises.)

B) A very detailed and advance english grammar book. (Which explains everything in great details. I dont have any problem in spending time for learning. Book can have 1000-2000 pages (the more the better)). I need some book which I can trust; that it has complete english grammar (ideally 'complete grammar' cannot exist in one book, but I need something which is very vast and covers most of the topic in great details).

Please help.
-- KK

I'm sure that the following books are going to satisfy your requirements

1- Most native speakers claim that it is the best grammar book ever
comprehensive-grammar-of-the-english-language.jpg

practical_english_usage.jpg

9780521581660.jpg

Oxford_Guide_to_English_Gramma.pdf

CobuildGrammar-ms.jpg

Longman-English-Grammar.jpg

The-Teachers-Grammar-of-English.jpg

I don't like Quirk (1). I'm sorry I paid so much for it. I can't even find the definition of a 'clause' in it. It's very hard to use as a reference book, and I really can't get into it. If I had my money back, I'd buy the Cambridge Grammar.

I also have 4. the Oxford and 5. the Collins Cobuild, which are good basic books.

I don't like Quirk (1). I'm sorry I paid so much for it. I can't even find the definition of a 'clause' in it. It's very hard to use as a reference book, and I really can't get into it. If I had my money back, I'd buy the Cambridge Grammar.

I also have 4. the Oxford and 5. the Collins Cobuild, which are good basic books.
I agree with your opinion about Professor Quirk's book. Especially after I read that he had criticized our beloved master, Mr. Henry Fowler!!!

Oops! I forgot to add this fantastic book

1000890856.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back