Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Last night, there was a downpour and storm in my city. My student left my apartment at 5 and it was raining. Since she lives far away, I thought she might not arrive home when the storm came.

Silver: Where were you when the downtown and storm came?
Sherry: I got caught up in the rain and had to take shelter in a shopping mall.

Is our conversation natural?

Last night, there was a downpour and storm in my city. My student left my apartment at 5 and it was raining. Since she lives far away, I thought she might not arrive home when the storm started. came.

Silver: Where were you when the downtown and storm started? came?
I suppose you meant to write "downpour" instead of "downtown"! In any case, you can just use "storm".

I suppose you meant to write "downpour" instead of "downtown"! In any case, you can just use "storm".
Yes, I meant "downpour". Sorry for the typo. Is the following version good now?
Silver: Where were you when the storm started?
Sherry: I got caught up in the rain and had to take shelter in a shopping mall.
Is it natural to say "got caught up"?

Last night, there was a downpour and rainstorm in my city. My student left my apartment at 5pm and it was already raining. Since she lives far a long way away, I thought she might not arrive have got home when before the storm came hit/arrived. Later that day/The next day, we had the following conversation:

Silver: Where were you when the downtown and storm came started/arrived/hit?
Sherry: I was still outside/still walking home so I got caught up in the rain and had to take shelter in a shopping mall.
See above. Note that I've added to the start of Sherry's response. Opening with "I got caught in the rain" doesn't answer "Where were you?"

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back