When none of them had even put a dent in William's resolve to leave Cambridge immediately . . .

shootingstar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
(William, the chorister, wants to leave the Choir of King's College, Cambridge, because of family problems)

"When none of them - Phillip, Mr Atkinson, his mother or Robert - had even put a dent in William's resolve to leave Cambridge immediately the only option was for him to stay temporarily with his Uncle while Evelyn (William's mother) got settled in Swansea."

(From A Terrible Kindness by Jo Browning Wroe, Part II Cambridge Choir, chapter 31)

My problem is the adverb 'even' in this sentence. Does 'even' emphasize Phillip (the choir master), Mr Atkinson (the headmaster), his mother and his uncle Robert advised William against leaving the King's College or does it emphasize they didn't raise any objections?

Last edited:
In that sentence, it simply emphasises that they had had no effect whatsoever on his resolve to leave. If it helps, you can think of it like this:

They had not even put a dent in his resolve, let alone changed his mind completely.

It doesn't mean that they outright advised him against leaving, nor that they didn't raise any objections. All we know is that something they did or said was done or said in an attempt to change his mind. They might have subtly suggested that he should stay, perhaps by pointing out the benefits they could see to his staying or something similar.

Please note that I moved the source information in post #1 to directly after the quote, which is where it should always appear.

My problem is the adverb 'even' in this sentence.
"Even" is just an intensifier. It does not determine the meaning.
Does 'even' emphasize Phillip (the choir master), Mr Atkinson (the headmaster), his mother and his uncle Robert the sentence mean that those people advised William against leaving the King's College?
That's what's implied, as well as the fact that they failed.
or does it emphasize they didn't raise any objections?
No.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back