When has he bought/did he buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I asked if it was a mistake to use 'where' with the present perfect.
What do you think? :) And why might you think so? How about other question words?

That depends on ...

... context.

Yes, I know. I am not asking about it again. Teechar asked me so I explained what my question was about.

What do you think? :) And why might you think so? How about other question words?

I wish there was a list of them but everything depends bon context:shock:

Try to find present perfect sentences starting with "where", "why", "how", "who", "whom", "whose", "what" and "which". I guarantee you they exist.

Both sentences are wrong. Number one is grammatically incorrect. Number two uses the tense incorrectly.

Please explain what is "grammatically incorrect" in #1.

Try to find present perfect sentences starting with "where", "why", "how", "who", "whom", "whose", "what" and "which". I guarantee you they exist.

I meant in short questions. For example with 'how'. As in 'How has she become so successful?'

Sometimes we use "when"-questions in the present perfect to imply that something never happened or to express disbelief in something's having happened.

When has your brother ridden his motorbike?

That sentence conveys that he speaker thinks "your brother" has never ridden his motorbike. It asks for a single time of his having ridden it to be specified.

A: My brother has ridden his motorbike.
B: He has? When?

Thus, When has your brother ridden his motorbike? is much different from When did your brother ride his motorbike?, which asks for a set of occasions.

[strike]When has your brother bought his motorbike?[/strike] is nonsense because one cannot do something to make something already one's own become one's own.

95% of explanations on this forum are never mentioned in our textbooks.:shock: Thank you. That's an interesting nuance.

I agree that context is king; it's not about the length of the sentence.

95% of explanations on this forum are never mentioned in our textbooks.:shock: Thank you. That's an interesting nuance.

That might be because textbooks teach you grammar. They don't teach you conversational English.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back