when a singer raises the level of voice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I say this?

Her husky voice is really powerful/captivating (any adj) when she soars to climax.

If this sentence doesn't work, what can be done to fix it?
Well . . . there's a little problem.

The verb climax can also mean have orgasm. That's obviously not what you mean, but native speakers who hear you say it might stifle a chuckle.

So if you're phrasing it that way, it would be better there to stick with crescendo.

Well . . . there's a little problem.

The verb climax can also mean have orgasm. That's obviously not what you mean, but native speakers who hear you say it might stifle a chuckle.

So if you're phrasing it that way, it would be better there to stick with crescendo.

:-D:-D

Is this completely okay?

The singer's husky voice is really captivating (any adj) when she soars to crescendo.

I like the crescendo.

The singer's husky voice is really captivating (any adj) when she soars to crescendo.

I like the crescendo.
"Crescendo" is the wrong word. It's the name of a process — getting louder — not a result. If you want to use a technical word from Western classical music, you can say sforzando (for example), meaning "sudden emphatic loud passage".

"Crescendo" is the wrong word. It's the name of a process — getting louder — not a result. If you want to use a technical word from Western classical music, you can say sforzando (for example), meaning "sudden emphatic loud passage".

What is my option in this particular sentence?

The singer's husky voice is really captivating (any adj) when she soars to...

Something that is widely understood.

...a climax. If adolescent boys snigger about it meaning something else, that's their problem.

To serious musicians, a crescendo is only the process of reaching a climax.

...a climax. If adolescent boys snigger about it meaning something else, that's their problem.

To serious musicians, a crescendo is only the process of reaching a climax.

So, I will go with this:

The singer's husky voice is really captivating (any adj) when she soars to a climax.

Or do I need "it"?

The singer's husky voice is really captivating (any adj) when it soars to a climax.

Last edited:
So, I will go with this:

The singer's husky voice is really captivating (any adj) when she soars to a climax.

Or do I need "it"?

The singer's husky voice is really captivating (any adj) when it soars to a climax.
They're both natural and mean the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back