South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I've read 2-3 English textbooks with the grammatical structure resembling

"What I want is [verb]+ing..."

ex:
"What I want is riding a bike."
"What I want to do now is watching a movie."

This seems incorrect to me and I've had several native English speakers/teachers telling me that it is incorrect.

Can someone please help me understand this structure?

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 8
The book is telling you the wrong thing. You need the infinitive form of the verb, not the -ing form.

What I want is to teach you how to use cleft sentences.
What I want is for you to get a decent grammar book.

Please tell us the title of that book and the name of the author.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've read two or three English textbooks....

Grammatically, that is not wrong. However, it seems a bit odd. Surely you know whether it was two or three. (If you really don't know, I suggest, "I can't remember if it was two or three."

What I want is to go home. 👍

What I want is going home.👎

Last edited:
Please tell us the title of that book and the name of the author.
Title: 영어 문장의 결정적 문법들

Writer: 김치훈

Publisher: 사람in

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 1
Strangely enough, we don't speak Korean. Please translate the title and author's name and write them in the alphabet we use in English.

Strangely enough, we don't speak Korean. Please translate the title and author's name and write them in the alphabet we use in English.

Title: The Crucial Grammar of English Sentences
Writer: Chihoon Kim

I've read 2-3 English textbooks with the grammatical structure resembling

"What I want is [verb]+ing..."

ex:
"What I want is riding a bike."
"What I want to do now is watching a movie."

This seems incorrect to me and I've had several native English speakers/teachers telling me that it is incorrect.

Can someone please help me understand this structure?
The structure of What I want is riding a bike can be used when What means the thing that:

What I bought is lying in the trunk. [= The thing that I bought is lying in the trunk.]

The above example is NOT a ("clefted") rearrangement of I bought lying in the trunk, which is ungrammatical, as is I want riding a bike. When, however, the verb does accept an -ing complement, the rearrangement is often OK:

What he remembers is answering her telephone call. [= He remembers answering her telephone call.]

In my humble opinion that's awkward at best.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back