Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Is There a Problem With This Sentence?

I saw this sentence in an English exam and I couldn't be sure if it is grammatically ok or not...

- Find a sentence where Alice expresses regret. What is she regretting?

Should it be something like "What does she regret for?"

Last edited by a moderator:
@murat guler, you posted the same thread in WRForums and received an answer almost immediately.

As you were asked in an earlier thread,

murat guler, please don't post the same question on multiple forums. If you post it on one forum but you are, for some reason, unsatisfied with the responses you get there, you can post the question here but please provide a link to the other forum and explain why you feel the need to ask us as well.

Is there a problem with this sentence? I saw this sentence in an English exam and I couldn't be I'm not sure if it is grammatically ok OK/okay or not.
Note my corrections above. I changed your thread title too. Titles must be unique, relevant to the thread, and contain some/all of the words/phrases/sentences you're asking us to comment on.
- Find a sentence where Alice expresses regret. What is she regretting?
You must provide the source and author of any text you didn't write yourself. Remember that in future threads.
Should it be something like "What does she regret for?"
Asked and answered on WR.

@murat guler, you posted the same thread in WRForums and received an answer almost immediately.

As you were asked in an earlier thread,
What is the connection between WR Forums and this site? Aren't they two different sites?

Yes, we are completely different websites which happen to use the same software and many of the same aims and objectives.

Many members contribute to both forums, but we have to be careful to conform to each other's rules – some of which vary significantly.

Last edited:
Several members here are also members on WR and other forums. it's very frustrating for us to spend time and effort responding on one forum and then got to another forum and find it has already been dealt with there. That's why we ask members not to post the same question on more than one forum.

Ok, I will not post the same question to both sites again. Thanks for the warning...

It is grammatically correct.
‘Regretting’ is the verb (regret) being used as a noun (describing how Alice is feeling) by adding -ing to the end. This is called a gerund.
Note my corrections above.

"What is she regretting?" is an interrogative in the present continuous. The non-interrogative would be "She is regretting ...", which is very clearly the present continuous. There is no gerund involved.

Note my corrections above.

"What is she regretting?" is an interrogative in the present continuous. The non-interrogative would be "She is regretting ...", which is very clearly the present continuous. There is no gerund involved.
Thank you, I double checked myself and changed the comment about it being a present participle to it being a gerund - definitely should have left it as it originally was.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back