What do you call that sport in which two girls stand opposite to each other holding ends of a rope.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Please check my sentences.

What do you call that sport in which two girls stand opposite to each other holding ends of a rope and the third girl in the middle jumps without touching the rope while two girls rotate it. The moment her feet touch it she gets out.

Your sentences are grammatically okay, but I think their factual basis is incorrect. The game is called skipping or jump-rope. Both names seem equally acceptable to my ear. However, it isn't true that a foot touching the rope gets a skipper out. A skipper is out only if the touch is enough to stop the rope turning.

By the way, although girls probably skip more than boys, both sexes do participate in skipping.

Last edited:
Sometimes they do what's called "double Dutch," using two ropes.

I didn't know the one in the middle is called a skipper.

What do you call that sport in which two girls stand opposite to each other holding the ends of a rope and the a third girl in the middle jumps without touching the rope while the first two girls rotate it? The moment her feet touch it, she gets she's out.
In the UK (when I was at school at least), it was just called "skipping". I didn't hear the term "double Dutch" until many years later. I associate "jump[ing] rope" with AmE.

FYI. tufguy, I don't consider the above kind of skipping a sport. I call it a children's game. When it's done by boxers and other athletes it's part of their fitness routines.

images

It's a sport at the level of the World Jump Rope Championships.

Last edited:
. I call it a children's game.
Yes, specifically 'a skipping game'. There are several, each one accompanied by a (normally nonsensical) song or chant. (But perhaps the songs/chants have died out - I haven't been in a playground for 60-odd years.)

Back