Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Analyses of each set of ratings for the 22 activities for the three groups of young violinists revealed no profile differences, that is, interactions between group and ratings of activities, which could account for differences in their actual allocation of time to different types of activities. We therefore collapsed the further analyses of differences in ratings between various activities across the three groups of young violinists.
(The Role of Deliberate Practice in the Acquisition of Expert Performance; K. Anders Ericsson, Ralf Th. Krampe, and Clemens Tesch-Romer)

What does 'collapse' mean here? Does it mean 'cease' by any chance?

Thanks.

I have to tell you, I don't know. My best guess is that they did some sort of downsizing of their project. What context followed the word in question?

For each type of rating (relevance, effort, and enjoyment) we compared the mean rating across all activities with the mean rating of that activity.

I reckon it means that they changed the way they calculated and compared results before. Although I can't be sure, the more I read it, the more I feel hopeless.

I think it may mean they didn't go ahead with the further analyses, though can see the condensed idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back