Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
What verb should I use with 'turnover' to mean that a team lost the ball to the other team because of a mistake or a violation of the rules? Is it "to do a turnover"?

I've never heard the expression.

One commits a turnover.

Can a team have a turnover?

Keep in mind I can only speak about American sports.

You can say something like "The Steelers have 5 turnovers this year" or "they committed 4 turnovers in the last game."

But I would not say they "have" a turnover except when speaking about statistics. That is, in discussing the number of them, not to describe the actual event.

In American football or basketball, teams make or commit turnovers all the time. It means an error or foul had been committed and possession of the ball goes to the other team.

Teams commit or make turnovers over the course of the game. Especially in football, the number of turnovers is an important statistic. The team with the most or excessive turnovers usually lose the game. Teams can have too many turnovers.

The Miami Dolphins had 9 turnovers and eventually lost the game.

--lotus

Sometimes it's called the turnover ratio.

--lotus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back