touch the wick to steel

Status
Not open for further replies.
He touched the wick to what?
To the steel.

Here, I assume "steel" is noun. If I found a definition for "to steel" that fit the sentence by making sense, I would tend to say that it wasn't a noun.

That was exactly my propensity. It was difficult to me to accept steel as a noun, but I didn't find any suitable sense of "to steel" as a verb.

My guess, after Jaskin's explanations, is that maybe is a noun and simply it is wrong written.

He touched the wick to what?
To the steel.

Here, I assume "steel" is noun. If I found a definition for "to steel" that fit the sentence by making sense, I would tend to say that it wasn't a noun.
It is a noun. This is a construction that is found in certain types of literature, often in "sword and sorcery" novels. "Steel crashed on steel", for example, to say that one man's sword made contact with another man's sword.

It is a noun. This is a construction that is found in certain types of literature, often in "sword and sorcery" novels. "Steel crashed on steel", for example, to say that one man's sword made contact with another man's sword.

But in this case is "wick to steel" :roll:

Do you also think the candle is lighted up with a sword?

But in this case is "wick to steel" :roll:

Not in reality no, but this is a "magic" candle, anything is possible.

Excuse my insistence, but then, besides all this magic item, what do you believe the initial sentence is saying, after all this steel mess?

I believe that the writer of this text was unaware of how a spark is produced. Usually, a piece of flint is struck against a piece of steel. The collision produces a spark. The spark touches the wick and a fire results. The steel, in and by itself, cannot produce a spark. This appears to be some sort of fantasy writing. It could be that, in this setting, the normal rules of physics do not apply.

Thank You for your kind explanation, which seems unseen between all this steel battle (never better said). So you believe this steel is a noun and is referring to all kind of weapons the characters are carrying, don't you?

Excuse my insistence, but then, besides all this magic item, what do you believe the initial sentence is saying, after all this steel mess?
He touched the wick to steel. The paper-wrapped tube flickered aflame. This is saying that when he touched the wick of the candle to the steel the candle, which was wrapped in paper, lit.

you can get a spark from putting steel to a good piece of flint. Flint on the left, steel on the right.

Yes yes, your point was clear from the beginning. Thank You

He touched the wick to steel. The paper-wrapped tube flickered aflame. This is saying that when he touched the wick of the candle to the steel the candle, which was wrapped in paper, lit.

In a previous answer of yours:

Originally Posted by Bushwhacker
But in this case is "wick to steel"

Excuse me, but which is the difference? :roll:

THanks

Bushwhacker, since we couldn't figure out what the wick it was, what the author were thinking when he wrote that line, it is all up to your imagination.

Bushwhacker, since we couldn't figure out what the wick it was, what the author were thinking when he wrote that line, it is all up to your imagination.

Yes, maybe, but we know what is the wick of a candle, sort of cord or strand of loosely woven. Thought the problem was only in the steel.

we know what is the wick of a candle, sort of cord or strand of loosely woven.

I know what a wick is, but I don't know what kind of wick it would be ( a magical one, maybe). I couldn't understand how on earth, a wick comes into contact with steel and then it flames up.

I know what a wick is, but I don't know what kind of wick it would be ( a magical one, maybe). I couldn't understand how on earth, a wick comes into contact with steel and then it flames up.

Yes, yes. Of course, that's what Gillnetter was trying to explain. Well, the sentence remains a mystery but I think we can call all this thread the beginning of a great friendship, can't we? :-D

Yes, sure we can, my friend.:):up:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back