Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
What is the colloquial way to say that somebody tracks snow into the car? The Oxford Dictionary suggests that that expression can be used in that sense but notes -
  • [transitive] track something (+ adv./prep.) (especially North American English) to leave dirty marks behind you as you walk
    • Don't track mud on my clean floor.
Do you use track snow/mud in/into the car/kitchen/house in the UK? Can I use drag/bring snow/mud in/into instead?

What is the colloquial way to say that somebody tracks snow into the car? The Oxford Dictionary suggests that that expression can be used in that sense but notes -
  • [transitive] track something (+ adv./prep.) (especially North American English) to leave dirty marks behind you as you walk
    • Don't track mud on my clean floor.
Do you use track snow/mud in/into the car/kitchen/house in the UK? Can I use drag/bring snow/mud in/into instead?
I would say "bring" or "tread".

"Track" is perfect for me. It's exactly what you're doing, leaving tracks.

The question was about British usage. I have never heard anybody from this side of the Atlantic use "track".
A native American who claims he is a teacher is saying that the usage of "track" in the sense of leaving dirty marks is the most correct and colloquial verb in American English.
55:56. Is it true?

A native American who claims he is a teacher is saying that the usage of "track" in the sense of leaving dirty marks is the most correct and colloquial verb in American English.
55:56. Is it true?
That might well be the case. PeterCW is from the UK and said that he's not familiar with it on this side of the Atlantic (the BrE side). I agree with him. I'd use "walk" or "tread".

Clean your boots so you don't walk mud all through the house!
If you tread any more snow into the kitchen, I'm going to stop you going out in it!

Here in Canada we would certainly use track so I agree with the man in the Youtube video on that point. But his use of the preposition in troubles me. We would always say track snow into a place.

Back