Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hello.
Is the second 'to' optional before the second verb?

''I like to eat and sometimes to cook.''

I find the whole sentence quite unpleasant, with or without the to. Why do you need to splice both statements together?

I like to eat.
I sometimes like to cook.

I find the whole sentence quite unpleasant, with or without the to. Why do you need to splice both statements together?

I like to eat.
I sometimes like to cook.
Just compared it to the same sentence in Russian. I wanted to make sure it sounded natural in English too. Maybe this is not the best example but I was more interested in finding out if it was possible to omit the second ''to'' when you have more than one verb in a sentence.

It's not having two verbs in one sentence that makes a difference. In the original sentence, it's the inclusion of "sometimes" that makes it sound unnatural without "to".

1. I like to eat and cook. :tick:
2. I like to eat and to cook. :tick:

3. I like to eat and, sometimes, to cook. :tick:
4. I like to eat and, sometimes, cook. Not impossible but not as natural as #3.

I added commas around "sometimes" because it's extra information. I don't think everyone would do so.

Also, using the "to" infinitive of both verbs sounds odd to me. "I like eating and, sometimes, cooking" would be more likely in BrE.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello.
Is the second 'to' optional before the second verb?

Optional? Yes. But given the situation, I would omit the second "to". But I would be inclined to say, "......and sometimes I cook".

I would be inclined to say, "......and sometimes I cook".

I don't think that's what Rachel Adams means. She means I sometimes like to cook.

I don't think that's what Rachel Adams means. She means I sometimes like to cook.

OK and if so, I would go with "...and sometimes I like to cook".

I think we could keep "and sometimes to cook" if we added always before "like to eat":

I always like to eat and sometimes to cook.

I understand "I like" to be elided between "sometimes" and "to cook": "I always like to eat and sometimes [strike]I like[/strike] to cook."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back