Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
I would like to ask about the phrase to be in blossom. This phrase, of course, for plants having flowers. When trees are in blossom, does this mean they didn't have flowers but not they started to have or have? This case usually happens in spring. For example some trees in spring have colorful flowers then at the end of spring or at the begining of summer they loss these colorful flowers and they have only green leaves. When they loss colorful flowers and have green leaves are they still in blossom?

Thank you.

When trees have flowers, they are in blossom. When they don't, they aren't.
This applies whether the flowers are colorful or not. Some trees have flowers which only a botanist could identify as such.

There are lots of phrases or verbs for this case. Would you check them?

2. Trees are on blossom.

3. Trees blossom.

4. Trees bloom.

5. Trees flower.

6. Trees come into blossom.

3, 4, 5, 6 are in the simple present but I have hesitations if the tense should be in the simple present or in the present perfect when explaining the case instantly.

Thank you.

2. Trees are on blossom.:cross:

3. Trees blossom.:tick:

4. Trees bloom.:tick:

5. Trees flower.:tick: [Acceptable but not common.]

6. Trees come into blossom.:tick:

3, 4, 5, 6 are in the simple present but I have hesitations if the tense should be in the simple present or in the present perfect when explaining the case instantly.
I don't understand what you mean by the underlined word.

Sorry for bad expression. By instantly, I wanted to mean "at the moment of speaking", for example when speaking a friend, not a general fact such as water boils 100 C. If you understand now, how should I have told it?

Sorry for expressing myself badly [STRIKE]expression[/STRIKE]. By instantly, I [STRIKE]wanted to[/STRIKE] meant "at the moment of speaking" - for example, when speaking to a friend - not a general fact such as water boils at 100 C. If you understand now, how should I have [STRIKE]told[/STRIKE] said it?
Something like this would work: 3, 4, 5, and 6 are in the present simple. I'm not sure whether I should use the present simple or present perfect if, for example, I'm explaining the situation to a friend.

The answer is that you should use a passive construction like The trees are in bloom or the present continuous The trees are blooming. We don't usually use the present simple in an active-voice sentence to describe something that's going on while we're speaking.

Something like this would work: 3, 4, 5, and 6 are in the present simple. I'm not sure whether I should use the present simple or present perfect if, for example, I'm explaining the situation to a friend.

The answer is that you should use a passive construction like The trees are in bloom or the present continuous The trees are blooming. We don't usually use the present simple in an active-voice sentence to describe something that's going on while we're speaking.

Is "The trees are in bloom" a passive sentence? Isn't it an active sentence with auxiliary verb are?

1. When trees have flowers, they are in blossom. When they don't, they aren't.

2. When trees have flowers, they are in blossom else not.

Is 2 identical in meaning to 1?

Thank you.

1. Trees blossom in the spring.

2. Trees are in blossom.

3. Trees blossom.

4. Trees bloom.

5. Trees flower.

6. Trees come into blossom.

Number one(1) was missing, so I made up one.
:)

When trees have flowers, they are in blossom. When they don't, they aren't.

Is there any way to express the underlined part shorter? This case makes me think the words else and otherwise.

Is there any way to express the underlined part shorter? This case makes me think the words else and otherwise.

You can replace the first clause of the second sentence with otherwise.

You can replace the first clause of the second sentence with otherwise.

3. When trees have flowers, they are in blossom. Otherwise, they aren't.
4. When trees have flowers, they are in blossom.They don't otherwise.

Would you please evaluate these?

"Opposite" doesn't come close to fitting there. Stick with "Otherwise".

[Cross posted with Piscean.]

"Opposite" doesn't come close to fitting there. Stick with "Otherwise".

[Cross posted with Piscean.]

Does Opposite doesn't come close to fitting=Opposite doesn't fit at all?

The answer to the question (as correctly punctuated by Piscean) is Yes.

Number one(1) was missing, so I made up one.
:)

Does made up one mean created one? Until now I haven't know make up means create as a meaning.

to make up = to invent

I didn't want to tell my teacher why I was really late for school so I made up a story about being kidnapped by aliens.
I didn't know the definition of the word so I made one up.
If you can't think of a real example, make one up.

to make up = to invent

I didn't want to tell my teacher why I was really late for school so I made up a story about being kidnapped by aliens.

Would you please explain the phrases "invent a story" and "invent a lie" correct or natural and correct?

Thank you.

We have moved well away from the original question, hhtt. It might be an idea to start a new thread with your last question.

I think so but it is out of the forum's rules. So I have to ask all the questions related to this thread under this thread. This also makes harder my learning by following the threads in which questions included.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back