Thus she spake, and as she was going up ...

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
From The Blazing World by Margaret Cavendish. This is what I am trying to figure out:

"Thus she spake, and as she was going up, up started Honesty (for she has not always so much discretion as she ought to have) and interrupted Prudence."

(Prudence and Honesty are characters.)

What does 'going up' mean in this context? Is it a reference to something about her speech? Something physical? Some antiquated turn of phrase? Wiktionary has not been super helpful and neither has ChatGPT. I've been unable to find another use of this phrase, in this manner, as the words themselves are so common and I don't get good search results.

Here is a little more context:

"Rashness having thus ended her Speech, Prudence rose and declared her self in this manner:

Beautiful Truth, Great Fortune, and you the rest of my noble Friends; I am come a great and long journey in the behalf of my dear Friend the Duke of Newcastle; not to make more wounds, but, if it be possible, to heal those that are made already. Neither do I presume to be a Deity; but my onely request is, that you would be pleased to accept of my Offering, I being an humble and devout supplicant; and since no offering is more acceptable to the Gods, then the offering of Peace; in order to that, I desire to make an agreement between Fortune, and the Duke of Newcastle.

Thus she spake, and as she was going up, up started Honesty (for she has not always so much discretion as she ought to have) and interrupted Prudence."

If you want even more context, here is the whole book: https://digital.library.upenn.edu/women/newcastle/blazing/blazing.html

Can someone please help me understand this? I am working on a historical translation of this book so that I can share more women philosophers with the world, since most that are taught about in school, especially from this period, are men. I don't want to guess on M.C's intention here. I want to reflect her work honestly and truly.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Before we can respond, you need to add the name of the author after the title in the first line of your text. You must always cite your source correctly (title and author).

In my opinion the hypertext link is adequate. Anyway the work is clearly in the public domain having been first published in the seventeenth century.

Reactions: 5jj
In my opinion the hypertext link is adequate.

It isn’t for me. The author’s name should immediately follow the title. I shouldn’t have to click on a link to search for it after reading 36 lines of turgid text with my head starting to hurt.

Last edited:
It isn’t for me. The author’s name should immediately follow the title. I shouldn’t have to click on a link to search for it after reading 36 lines of turgid text with my head starting to hurt.
Didn't know my bad. I edited it into the op. The author is the same as my username. Also the author's name is on line 2 of that link, right at the top.

Now that I have followed the rules, I hope I can get help learning.

Last edited by a moderator:
My best guess is that "going up" there means "standing up". She stood up while still talking but, at the same time, Honesty also stood up and interrupted her.
It is just a guess though. This kind of treacle-like writing is what I hated about studying English Literature at school.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back