Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I read a book about psychology and in one chapter it talks about some positive ways to elongate life. For example, we can exercise, eat healthily, be in a good mood, etc.

Is it natural to say "This chapter is about elongating life"?

Much appreciated!

That's not natural. I'd expect "This chapter is about improving your chances of living longer".
When people aren't well, we talk about giving them treatment to prolong their life but this book seems to be talking about natural ways to extend one's own lifespan.

"Elongate " meaning to make something longer does not work with "life".

Some other ways to put it:

This chapter is about how to live a longer life.
This chapter is about how to increase/extend/add years to your life span/ life expectancy/longevity.

Last edited:
Silver, after 6,321 threads, you should know that we want to know the title and author of books you mention.
Yes, I know that. I've remembered to name the source clearly since last time ems2d2 told me to do so. However, do you really want me to provide the name of this book? It's in Chinese.

Silver, after 6,321 threads, you should know that we want to know the title and author of books you mention.
Well, fair enough.

微信图片_20240403190518.png
The above is the chapter about how to live longer.
微信图片_20240403190458.png
This one is the book that I'm reading and you want.

However, do you really want me to provide the name of this book? It's in Chinese.
It doesn't matter what language it's in. Providing the source isn't about our curiosity - it's a legal requirement under UK law. The forum is based in the UK so we have to adhere to the strict copyright rules.

Coming back to the original question, the word you want is prolong. To elongate is to extend the physical length of an object. When referring to time periods use prolong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back