Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Then they painted along to an episode of Ross' PBS show "The Joy Of Painting."

(On the NPR https://www.npr.org/2019/02/11/693417769/art-teacher-in-texas-rewards-hard-working-students)

(Transcript)

RACHEL MARTIN, HOST:

Good morning. I'm Rachel Martin. A middle school art teacher in Abilene, Texas, wanted to reward her hardworking students. And what could ease their stress and spark their creativity? Dressing up like Bob Ross, of course. On the designated day, dozens of eighth graders wore big, curly, reddish wigs and chambray shirts. Then they painted along to an episode of Ross' PBS show "The Joy Of Painting." The Abilene Reporter-News said it best. It was a Bob Ross flash mob - a flash Bob, if you will. It's MORNING EDITION.
--------------

1. Does "along" here mean "
with somebody"?
https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/along_2

2. Why did the speaker use "painted to", rather than "painted for" or "painted on" or something?

a. Then they painted along to an episode of Ross' PBS show "The Joy Of Painting."
b. Then they painted along for an episode of Ross' PBS show "The Joy Of Painting."
c. Then they painted along on an episode of Ross' PBS show "The Joy Of Painting."

Re: Then they painted along to an episode of Ross' PBS show "The Joy Of Painting."

Then they painted along to an episode of Ross' PBS show "The Joy Of Painting."
If you use a piece of music or a TV programme to accompany an activity, then you do that activity (along) to that piece piece of music or TV programme.
Which does "along" here mean? Could you please tell me?

along
adverb

in a forward direction
— often used figuratively

Her career was helped along by her wealthy uncle.
http://learnersdictionary.com/definition/along

------------
used to say that someone or something is brought or taken with you when you go somewhere

We brought/took an extra battery along just in case we needed it.

Last edited:
Re: Then they painted along to an episode of Ross' PBS show "The Joy Of Painting."

along
adverb

in a forward direction

------------
used to say that someone or something is brought or taken with you when you go somewhere

Can you see any way to make one of those definitions work for the quoted sentence?

Can you see any way to make one of those definitions work for the quoted sentence?
I am not sure. They both don't seem that appropriate, but others seem more impossible.

at or to an advanced point
Plans for a new stadium are already pretty far along.

at a particular place : here or there
I'll be along [=I'll be there] to see him in a few minutes.

from one person to another
Word was passed along that the attack was coming.

Could you please help me?

In this usage, along means "together with". This isn't one of the most common uses of the word, but it's not terribly rare. I'd expect to see it in a dictionary.

In this usage, along means "together with". This isn't one of the most common uses of the word, but it's not terribly rare. I'd expect to see it in a dictionary.
Can I say them?

Then they painted together with an episode of Ross' PBS show "The Joy Of Painting."

If you use a piece of music or a TV programme to accompany an activity, then you do that activity together with that piece piece of music or TV programme.

You're missing to, which is the most important part- you could say together to, but you need to.

You're missing to, which is the most important part- you could say together to, but you need to.

Do they mean the same thing? Could you please tell me?

d. Then they painted together to an episode of Ross' PBS show "The Joy Of Painting."
d.' Then they painted along to an episode of Ross' PBS show "The Joy Of Painting.

e. If you use a piece of music or a TV programme to accompany an activity, then you do that activity together to that piece piece of music or TV programme.

e'. If you use a piece of music or a TV programme to accompany an activity, then you do that activity along to that piece piece of music or TV programme.

In both cases they painted for the duration of the show. In the first, they might have worked together on one painting.

along
adverb

in a forward direction

------------

You're really asking this question? After being told exactly what it means in post #2?

Do they mean the same thing? Could you please tell me?

d. Then they painted together to an episode of Ross' PBS show "The Joy Of Painting."
d.' Then they painted along to an episode of Ross' PBS show "The Joy Of Painting.

e. If you use a piece of music or a TV programme to accompany an activity, then you do that activity together to that piece piece of music or TV programme.

e'. If you use a piece of music or a TV programme to accompany an activity, then you do that activity along to that piece piece of music or TV programme.

together to is incorrect.
along to is correct.

Kadioguy, please note that it is not the NPR. Just NPR.

:)

You're really asking this question? After being told exactly what it means in post #2?
Yes.:oops:

After reading post #2, I am still not sure what "along" really means. It looks like 'together' or something, but you said "together to is incorrect; along to is correct." :-?

along to = together with

When this particular use of along is used in this way, it has a basic sense of togetherness. This does not mean that it is synonymous and interchangeable with the word together. I think you need to stop relying on dictionary definitions (especially learner dictionaries) and rely more on your natural sense of decoding meaning from context.

You might imagine that if you go along with somebody or something, or if you do something along with somebody, you participate for the duration (or part of the duration) of the activity. You might see the experience as a journey which you are sharing.

I'm going to play a song on the guitar. Everybody please feel free to sing along.
When I practice the guitar, I usually play along to an electronic drum beat.
We're going on a trip to Hastings. Would you like to come along?
I'm sure he's wrong but it's easier if we just go along with it.

Have a good think about how I've used along in these examples. Get the situations clear in your mind. Don't ask about to until you're sure you understand along.

This has been suggested before.

Yes. More than once.

I think you need to stop relying on dictionary definitions (especially learner dictionaries) and rely more on your natural sense of decoding meaning from context.
This has been suggested before.
Yes. More than once.
Ah, I am Chinese after all. I wish I had an English teacher in real life answering all my questions, but this is almost impossible. Dictionaries are my teachers I can rely on, anytime, anywhere.

As for using dictionaries I agree with Samuel Johnson: "Dictionaries are like watches, the worst is better than none, and the best cannot be expected to go quite true."

So I go online to ask questions here.

One problem is the way you try to use dictionaries, kadioguy. Despite what we say, you seem fixated on trying to find a dictionary definition that precisely fits the meaning of an individual preposition (or other part of speech), instead trying to accepting that understanding the general sense of a phrase or small group of words is what is important. Here is one example: if you do not understand the underlined words in I won't put up with his attitude any longer, dealing with the dictionary definitions of the individual words put, up and with will lead you nowhere. And just because place can be used instead of put in some contexts, this does not mean that you can use place instead of put in the three-word phrase I am talking about. We need to deal with the whole phrase put up with.
Thanks. :)

I think this is because I believe to some extent we can understand the general sense of a phrase or small group of words through individual parts.

For example, the phrase put up with
https://english.stackexchange.com/q...understand-why-put-up-with-means-stand-endure

Perhaps this will become clearer if we look at the Chinese word for word, '字'. In considering that symbol, we have to consider the symbol as a whole. Trying to discover what each of the six strokes that make up that word 'mean' will get us nowhere.
Well, in fact there is a book called "說文解字" (literally: "Explaining Graphs and Analyzing Characters") can help us do that. Once you understand structure of the characters and fundamental reasons behind them, you will remember Chinese characters easier. (I sometime read it even now when I feel confused about the structure of a Chinese character. ;-))

Last edited:

I give up.
I meant no offence. Very grateful for your help. :up:

Kadioguy, most people stop looking once they find what they were looking for.

Look at how a word or phrase is used to truly understand its meaning.

Don't beat a dead horse.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back