To clarify the matter, Professor Jackson painted the matter in a materialistic light and likened the two theories...

Status
Not open for further replies.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I want to say someone presents an issue in a particular way. Can I use "paint something in a ...light"? Is this okay?

To clarify the matter, Professor Jackson painted the matter in a materialistic light and likened the two theories to a fancy smartphone and a cheap one.

If it doesn't work, what can I say?

I think it's OK. (@emsr2d2 will probably have a different opinion. 😊)

He used a real-life example to explain the theories.

I don't really like the use of "painted ... light". That phrase is used to mean a particular spin was put on a matter. That doesn't seem to be the case here.

It doesn't work for me. It's usually used to say something about someone (or something) that isn't necessarily true. I wouldn't use it for comparisons.

She painted her ex-husband in a very bad light.
They painted their business in a really good light but the company was actually causing huge damage to the environment.

It doesn't work for me. It's usually used to say something about someone (or something) that isn't necessarily true. I wouldn't use it for comparisons.

She painted her ex-husband in a very bad light.
They painted their business in a really good light but the company was actually causing huge damage to the environment.
What would you use instead of that?

To clarify the matter, Professor Jackson .... the matter in a materialistic .... and likened the two theories to a fancy smartphone and a cheap one.

To clarify it, Prof Jackson used a comparison between two physical things - an expensive smartphone and a cheap one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back