Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
On top of this, they now learn that a one-way privilege is to be established by Act of Parliament; a law which cannot, and is not intended to, operate to protect them or redress their grievances, is to be enacted to give the stranger, the disgruntled and the agent provocateur the power to pillory them for their private actions.
Wikipedia

Hello, teachers. Am I correct that in the boldfaced part, the stranger and the agent provocateur are single nouns, while the disgruntled is a plural noun?

We are talking about general types, so I suppose you could say those terms include everybody in those categories.

We are talking about general types, so I suppose you could say those terms include everybody in those categories.
Yes, but in grammatical terms, the disgruntled refers to an entire category of people collectively, and would take a plural verb, unlike the other two, right?

Are you talking about "give"?

What would you change it to?

Are you talking about "give"?

What would you change it to?
No, I meant it as the subject of a verb not the object. E.g.: The disgruntled are taking to the streets of London.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back