the sound of birds before dawn

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the phrase dawn chorus is unfamiliar to Americans? :shock: Well I never!

Well . . . I won't speak for all of us! But this is the first time this boy has run into it.

I just asked my wife if she'd ever heard the expression. She hadn't, but she immediately guessed the meaning correctly.

We like it.

I greatly enjoyed waking up at dawn in Australia to hear a very different dawn chorus.

I greatly enjoyed waking up at dawn in Australia to hear a very different dawn chorus.

Eh what? Was it Australian birdies you heard?.
:)

I'll be sure to give you and your wife a reminder for International Dawn Chorus Day, this year on Sunday 2nd of May.

https://www.wildlifetrusts.org/dawn-chorus-day
Funny thing:

After that post about asking my wife, I went and had breakfast. Then I came back to the computer and checked my email. There was one from a music website. I opened it and found the site's song list du jour. Number 6 on the list: "Dawn Chorus" by John Hopkins.

They have an International day for just about everything these days.

I believe this year's 'International Day for Just About Everything' will take place on August 23rd.

Funny thing:

After that post about asking my wife, I went and had breakfast. Then I came back to the computer and checked my email. There was one from a music website. I opened it and found the site's song list du jour. Number 6 on the list: "Dawn Chorus" by John Hopkins.

Nice. There's a name for this—when you learn a new word and then proceed to see/hear it everywhere. Baader-Meinhof phenomenon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back