The song/songs of the cicadas tells/tell people the hottest days of summer have come.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I wrote the following four sentences. Please tell me which one is the best.

a) The song of the cicadas tells people the hottest day of summer has come.
b) The songs of the cicadas tell people the hottest day of summer has come.
c) The song of the cicadas tells people the hottest days of summer have come.
d) The songs of the cicadas tell people the hottest days of summer have come.

I think c) is the only correct and natural version. May I have your opinion?

It depends how many "songs of the cicadas" and how many "hottest days" of summer there are. Only the writer knows.

Last edited:
It depends how many "songs of the cicadas" and how many "hottest days" of summer there are. Only the writer knows.

I wrote the sentence. Could you please tell me which one is the best to express the idea that during summer days one can hear the song/songs of the cicadas. I think the singular “song” is good and enough as far as the anthropomorphism is concerned. And I need “hottest days” because usually there are many hottest days during a summer.

Please help me.

One song for each type of cicada/bird/whatever.

And it's not just one day.

I think those are the writer's subjective descriptions of his observations about things happening where he is from. Who are we, from a totally different culture and far away location, to say whether the songs (presumably in Chinese) or hottest days (as experienced by the locals) should be plural or singular?

Last edited:

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back