the reason why....flusturated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why? I merely wanted to seem friendly. I am not using shameful or taboo words or expressions.

Addressing strangers as dear isn't shameful or taboo. It's just uncomfortably intimate. This forum is a place where Anglophones help others use English appropriately. Pointing out unintentionally awkward phrases is one of the things the Anglophone members do to help learners know what they should avoid.

Dear is a rather odd word. In most varieties of English, it's usually used in speech only between people on very intimate terms. In letters, on the other hand, it's a conventional address to anyone -- provided it's followed by the person's name. The latter usage is a lot less common now than it once was as email has almost entirely replaced snail-mail.

On yet another hand, some Anglophone women address nearly everyone as "dear". The receptionist at my office has this habit, which is fairly common in my region.

Addressing strangers as dear isn't shameful or taboo. It's just uncomfortably intimate.
I guess it is Arabian culture because another native Arabic speaker once called me 'brother' in this thread, and s/he deleted it after Rover_KE showed disapproval.

It's just uncomfortably intimate.
If you misunderstood me, then I am sorry but please, be completely sure that Arabs use the word "dear" to show friendliness and politeness, so we mean no bad intention at all by saying "dear". you might see it from another perspective because of different cultures.

I guess it is Arabian culture because another native Arabic speaker once called me 'brother' in this thread, and s/he deleted it after Rover_KE showed disapproval.

It is not only Arabian culture but other cultures use it as well. For example, Americans say "bro" a lot to each other.

They only say it to friends and relatives — not on educational forums such as this.

If you misunderstood me, then I am sorry but please, be completely sure that Arabs use the word "dear" to show friendliness and politeness, so we mean no bad intention at all by saying "dear". you might see it from another perspective because of different cultures.

I'm just trying to help you improve your English. The process involves transmitting some cultural norms as well as linguistic ones. You don't have to apologize for not knowing all such norms. Learning them is one of the ways you can benefit from this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back