Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Maggie is a friend of mine. Her daughter Yu is learning English from me. I went to an English club last night with Yu and someone asked who Yu was. I said:

a) She's the daughter of a friend of mine. (No one knows or cares about who Maggie is.)
b) She's the daughter of one of my friends. (Ditto.)
c) She's the daughter of my friend Maggie. (More clearly but who knows who Maggie is.)

I said "a" but I still don't know the best way to express the idea and the most natural way to tell my listeners who Yu is.

Please help me.

Use a) or b) if they don't know or care who Maggie is.

Use c) if they know Maggie or you think they'd be interested to know whose daughter she is.

Use a) or b) if they don't know or care who Maggie is.

Use c) if they know Maggie or you think they'd be interested to know whose daughter she is.
Are these three sentences natural? I thought they weren’t and couldn’t express my intended meaning.

Are these three sentences natural? I thought they weren’t and couldn’t express my intended meaning.
They're all grammatically correct and natural.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back