Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello.

Are these sentences I have written correct and natural? Which version do you like better?

This is a cruel city. The only instinct that survives after living in this city is the survival instinct.

The only instinct that survives after living in this city is the survival instinct. This city obliterates all your other instincts.

Do you have suggestions to make them better?

I like the first sentences better.

It could be. But note that humans don't have instincts (except possibly the survival instinct).

What instincts do you think they have?

It could be. But note that humans don't have instincts (except possibly the survival instinct).
Speak for yourself! I'm a seething cauldron of instincts. Some are indistinct, and some stink. But without them, I'd extinct!

Is this a good sentence?

This is a cruel city. The only instinct that survives after living in this city is the survival instinct.

Is this a good pair of sentences?

It's good. Play around with it some more.* Tighter is stronger.

------------------

*I had a teacher who studied under Raymond Carver, one of the writers I recommended.** When he thought something needed just a little more work, he'd say, "Run it through the typewriter one more time."

------------------

** Which reminds me, here's a great little Carver story. Notice how little ink goes into description. (How big is the house? How old is the car? What color is anyone's hair? Does it matter? What does matter?): Cathedral

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back