Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
correct forms of verb

The birds ___(fly) in the sky before it started raining.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're welcome to the forum, xyzzz, but we don't provide free answers to homework questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the correct [STRIKE]forms[/STRIKE] form of the verb below?

Note my corrections above. I have also changed your thread title. Titles should be unique and relevant to the thread, and should include some/all of the words/phrases/sentences you are asking us about. Your actual question should appear only in the main body of your text.

You need to do your homework/assignment on your own, with no outside help. After you get it back from your teacher, you're welcome to come back to us if you don't understand your teacher's comments or corrections.

Note my corrections above. I have also changed your thread title. Titles should be unique and relevant to the thread, and should include some/all of the words/phrases/sentences you are asking us about. Your actual question should appear only in the main body of your text.

You need to do your homework/assignment on your own, with no outside help. After you get it back from your teacher, you're welcome to come back to us if you don't understand your teacher's comments or corrections.

1.The birds (had flown) in the sky before it started raining.

2.The birds (had been fying) in the sky before it started raining.
Which one is correct & why?
Thanks for you kind reply.

Last edited:
1. space here The birds (had flown) in the sky before it started raining.
2. space here The birds (had been flying) in the sky before it started raining.

Which one is correct [STRIKE]&[/STRIKE] and why?

[STRIKE]Thanks for you kind reply.[/STRIKE]

Please read our responses again. We cannot tell you the answer to a homework question. When do you have to submit your homework to your teacher?

Sorry for my mistakes. I was reading about tenses, and doing exercise I have found this sentence.
According to my understanding I think,
'The birds (had flown/had been flying) in the sky before it started raining. '
both form of verbs is correct.
I am learning by myself, help me to improve my understanding about tense.

Sorry for my mistakes. There is no need to apologise. You're here to learn.

I was reading about tenses, and while doing an exercise, I [STRIKE]have[/STRIKE] found this sentence.
[STRIKE]According to my understanding[/STRIKE] As I understand it, I think that both the following verb forms are correct:

'The birds no comma here had flown/had been flying no comma here in the sky before it started raining.'

I am learning by myself. Please help me to improve my understanding [STRIKE]about[/STRIKE] of tenses.

Note my corrections above.

What do you already know about the use of the continuous form of a verb?

Can you tell us why you think "had flown" works?
Can you tell us why you think "had been flying" works?

It is a great pleasure for me to converse with you guys.
As I understand, ' The birds had flown in the sky before it started raining. '
here, 'had flown' correct by following the rule; past perfect + before + past indefinite.
And 'had been flying' refers an action that began before a certain point in the past and continued upto that time.

Last edited:
Can we leave out 'in the sky'? Birds don't fly anywhere else.

I am learning by myself ....
Please put this information in your signature line as a permanent reminder for us that you are learning without a teacher.

Click Settings and then Edit Signature.

No, but I don’t understand are both of these sentences correct or which one?

With the exception of penguins. Not only do they fly in water, they do so in their dinner suits. :)

Please put this information in your signature line as a permanent reminder for us that you are learning without a teacher.

Click Settings and then Edit Signature.

I cannot find the edit signature option.
I am looking for the option.

Last edited:
Hello, xyzzz

Which one is correct & why?

This is not the right question to ask. You need to focus on the different meanings and uses of the past perfect simple and the past perfect continuous. The example sentence in post #1 isn't a good way to do that. I think you should ignore that question. Instead of asking which form is correct, you should find some good examples of each form to study.

In future, please tell us exactly where you found the sentences or test questions that you ask about. Thanks.

Hello, xyzzz

This is not the right question to ask. You need to focus on the different meanings and uses of the past perfect simple and the past perfect continuous. The example sentence in post #1 isn't a good way to do that. I think you should ignore that question. Instead of asking which form is correct, you should find some good examples of each form to study.

In future, please tell us exactly where you found the sentences or test questions that you ask about. Thanks.

Yes I have realised that this is not the right place to ask such question. I am curious that could I use (past perfect continuous + before + past indefinite).
I found this sentence in the book 'APPLIED ENGLISH GRAMMAR & COMPOSITION' By Nest field, Wren & Martin.
Luckily I found this place and I am feeling very comfort to communicate with you good people. Thorough conversing with you people, I think my fear of writing English lessen day by day.

Yes I have realised that this is not the right place to ask such question.

I didn't mean this is not the right place to ask questions. I meant that your question is not a very helpful one.

I am curious that could I use (past perfect continuous + before + past indefinite).

You can find example sentences with this form, yes.

I found this sentence in the book 'APPLIED ENGLISH GRAMMAR & COMPOSITION' By Nest field, Wren & Martin.

So tell us what the writers are saying. What is the grammatical point that they want to describe? What have you learnt from this section of the book?

Luckily I found this place and I am feeling very comfort to communicate with you good people. Thorough conversing with you people, I think my fear of writing English lessen day by day.

Welcome! Please don't be afraid to make mistakes here. There's nothing to be afraid of. We are only interested in helping you to learn and improve.

Birds could fly at a lower altitude, in which case, you cannot say that they fly in the sky, can you?

I would not rule out the use of the simple past tense in the sentence.

Last edited:
As always when checking this kind of question, I naturally filled in the blank without thinking. The tense that came to mind was the past continuous were flying. However, I'd bet my house that whoever wrote this question intended it to demonstrate something about sequencing with the past perfect (continuous). If it has been written as a test question, which appears to be the case, I'd like to see the entire exercise in context including the instructions before judging it, but it doesn't seem to be a good example at all, whatever it's aim. I don't think it's worth discussing.

By Nesfield, Wren & Martin.

Books by these authors have always been popular in what are now Bangladesh, India and Pakistan, but are not highly regarded elsewhere. Originally published in the 1930s, revised editions are still being published today. They serve their purpose in those countries, but I would not recommend them to learners who have a choice of materials to learn from

Exercises in which learners have to choose the 'correct' tense/aspect for a verb are always suspect. Writers of such exercises seem to think that there is only one possible answer, when there is often more than one.

Last edited:
Books by these authors have always been popular in what are now Bangladesh, India and Pakistan, but are not highly regarded elsewhere. Originally published in the 1930s, revised editions are still being published today. They serve their purpose in those countries, but I would not recommend them to learners who have a choice of materials to learn from

Exercises in which learners have to choose the 'correct' tense/aspect for a verb are always suspect. Writers of such exercises seem to think that there is only one possible answer, when there is often more than one.

I agree with you. Could you recommend me some books or sources.It will be helpful for me to understand English Grammar.
As I am not good at english writting,I may do mistakes to reply any of above comments and if anyone finds error in my writting please correct me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back