Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
Georgian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
I am sharing my opinion about education here. I tried to correct it myself first. The parts I changed are marked by asterisks. Are they correct?

1. Education is very important. Qualifications(arts or science degree) paves the way for further profession and successful career. A strong candidate with excellent knowledge are always highly valued. Over the course of my study the level of education was lower. (I mean it was lower while I was studying). I think vocational training is now more interesting and includes a lot of information that can be used on practice.

2. Education is very important. *A person's qualifications*( *such as an arts or science degree*) paves the way for further *professional development* (*or further career development*). A strong candidate with excellent knowledge is always highly valued. Over the course of my *studies* the level of education was lower. (I mean it was lower while I was studying). I think vocational training is now more interesting and it includes a lot of information that can be used *in* practice.

I'm confused. Did you write both versions? If so, why did you write one and then "correct" it? It would have saved time to just write the one you think is correct!

I'm confused. Did you write both versions? If so, why did you write one and then "correct" it? It would have saved time to just write the one you think is correct!
Sorry. Yes, I wrote both. I tried to correct the first and wrote the second version, the corrected one.

Is the second version, the corrected one right?

I'm going to write corrections and comments on your first version for now:

Education is very important. ✅
That's a grammatically correct opening although it's not a radical idea!
Qualifications space here (arts or science degrees) paves pave the way for further profession and a successful [future] career.
I'm sure you know that "Qualifications paves ..." is wrong.
Why have you chosen those qualifications specifically? There are other types of qualification and other types of degree.
A strong candidate with excellent knowledge are is always highly valued.
I'm sure you know "A strong candidate ... are ..." is wrong.
A candidate for what? Highly valued by whom?
Over the course of my study When I was a student, the level of education was lower. (I mean it was lower while I was studying).
What do you mean by "the level of education"? Do you mean that the quality across the board was lower or that fewer people got qualifications such as degrees?
I think vocational training is now more interesting than it once was, and includes a lot of information that can be used on put into practice.
This is a very vague and wishy-washy sentence.

Why have you chosen those qualifications specifically? There are other types of qualification and other types of degree.
I chose them because they are most popular here.

A candidate for what? Highly valued by whom?
A candidation with either of the qualifications I mentioned. Highly valued by employers.

What do you mean by "the level of education"? Do you mean that the quality across the board was lower or that fewer people got qualifications such as degrees?
I mean the quality of education was low.

This is a very vague and wishy-washy sentence.
Based on my explanations are the following statements still unnatural?
A strong candidate with excellent knowledge is always highly valued. Over the course of my *studies* the level of education was lower.

I think vocational training is now more interesting than it once was, and includes a lot of information that can be used on put into practice.
Does "used in practice" make sense in my context? If I am talking about using something in practice.

Last edited:
A strong candidate for what? A job opening?

Do you mean the quality of education has gotten better since you were in school?

How do you know vocational training is more interesting than it used to be? (Interest is subjective.)

A strong candidate for what? A job opening?

Do you mean the quality of education has gotten better since you were in school?

How do you know vocational training is more interesting than it used to be? (Interest is subjective.)
I am confused by the expression "over the course of my studies." Does either "over the course of my studies," "over the course of my study," or "over the course of my education" work in the right context?

The phrase "over the course of my studies" is best, I think. However, as they say, don't quote me on that. (That's one is not part of my active vocabulary.)

I suggest that you take note of any questions. For example, why did I ask what is the person a candidate for? It's because the "for" part is always there whether explicitly stated or implied.

I am confused by the expression "over the course of my studies." Does Do either "over the course of my studies", "over the course of my study" or and "over the course of my education" work in the right context?
Note my changes above. Use "either" only when giving the choice of two options. Note my corrections to the punctuation. Commas that separate various options should be outside the quotation marks.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back