"such bad weather"v.s."so bad weather"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't it's so good weather correct like he's so good a boy?

Good question.

He's so good a boy = He's such a good boy ['So' is an adverb and 'such' is an adjective.]

Now, for the sake of the discussion, let's use a countable weather phenomenon; and (because for deeply-rooted reasons connected with the nature of the human pyche ;-)) countable weather phenomena tend to be bad* ones) we'll flip the polarity too:

It was so bad a downpour. = It was such a bad downpour ['So' is an adverb and 'such' is an adjective, as before.]

I doubt if this is much help; perhaps another teacher will do better. But 'It's so good weather' is just wrong.

b

PS *Some - such as a breeze or a shower can be welcome, but I can't think of a context that would justify the adjective 'good' (except when the 'good' means thorough', which changes everything.)

Last edited:
PPS 'So good' is possible after an uncountable noun:

I've never seen such good weather = 'I've never seen weather so good'.:tick: (I've never seen so good weather. :cross: )

All three are possible with a countable noun, but the post-positive 'so good' is rather formal - at least, so it seems to me. I feel I've never seen such a good boy and I've never seen so good a boy both sound less formal than I've never seen a boy so good (except when the 'so good' is followed by a relative* clause of course - when the position of the 'so good' is not optional).

b
PS *I'm not sure whether nobody noticed, or whether you're all turning a kind/blind eye, but this is wrong. I'm talking about a subordinate clause that explains a result ('he looked so sorry that I forgave him immediately') - not sure what English grammarians call them. :oops:

Last edited:
I heard there are people that say the English language is logical :-D

Last edited:

Good heavens! Where do they say that?? I want some of what they have to drink!

And I'd say people who say that language is logical have
not much logic :).

Where do they say that?? I want some of what they have to drink!
Oh, that's easy. Take some potatoes, help them ferment, and there you go. But it's illegal in Poland :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back