students <being><who are> more willing

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I'd known you were going to do that, I'd have stuck a couple of 's in.

It's funny. I'm taking an online course right now on how to use an online teaching platform that I use at the college where I teach, and I've just come across a sentence in which the materials writer has attempted to use the (more formal) Possessive-ing variant of this construction but has put the apostrophe in the wrong place.

"We have also created a Foundations Sandbox course for you to practice what you are learning without having to worry about student's seeing your work in progress."

Clearly, the intended meaning is "without having to worry about students' seeing your work in progress" or "without having to worry about students seeing your work in progress." Here, the possessive is arguably important, since the Acc-ing construction could indeed be mistaken for a noun phrase with a reduced relative clause.

The difference in meaning is amusing. The reduced-relative clause interpretation is "without having to worry about students who are seeing your work in progress," whereas the intended meaning (the Acc-ing interpretation) is "without having to worry about whether students see your work in progress."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back