English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Puerto Rico
Current Location
Italy
:-D Good morning everyone,

My name's Emma and I've been teaching here in Italy for about 4 years now. My lessons have been mostly directed to Adult individuals or small groups in companies (so slightly more on the Business-side). I was offered an evening course by another private school (the second one I'll be working for), and I am drawing a blank for the first time! Here's the issue:

It's a 60-hour Pre-Intermediate English course which will meet once per week (from 7 to 10 PM) with 14 students all around the 30-35 age range. This is a general English class... now my problem is that, the school "head" told me to stick to the book (Grammar Files) as much as possible, avoiding at all costs any video/audio clips, extra worksheets and reducing student-interaction to a bare minimum. Their technique is "blackboard, teacher and student". I am a very dynamic teacher and love making them role-play and do mini activities to remember vocabulary and such, but I am stuck here and I don't know what to do! Plus, I need to structure the first lesson on my own, bearing in mind all of these "rules". What can I do?! Have you ever stumbled upon this situation? Any ideas for a possible introductory 3-hour lesson?

I was thinking of doing something along the lines of: First hour (homework check, revision), second hour (new vocab/grammar from book), third hour (light activity interaction...but with what if I can't use extra activities!).

I would hate it if the students got bored or hated the class... I mean 3 hours! :shock:

Thank you all in advance for any help!

Thank you for your feedback, P.! You are right, I did accept... I was told beforehand though (I didn't mention this), that we could add things and modify it - but not too much. Then I was completely told not to use anything at all. I need the extra money, but I was afraid of ruining my "image" as a boring teacher. Either way! Thanks and I will look into the TB!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back