Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Dear friends, here I am again.

I came across an expression at today's learning in which I can't find the definition in the dictionaries as well as on the google.
Here goes the line:
Sam:" So by the time the colonists busted in here...treasure was already gone."

Won't anyone please help me out here ? My question is: what does 'busted' mean ?

Where did you see or hear this sentence? In a video game? Or in a film? What was happening in the scene? Which place does 'here' refer to?

In this context busted in a slang equivalent of broke in. It's not just broke but "broke in" as a burglar breaks into a house.

Last edited:
Dear friends, here I am again. Unnecessary. Just ask your question.

I came across an expression at today's learning lesson in which but I can't find the definition in the any dictionaries as well as or on the Google.
Here goes is the line:
Sam: "So by the time the colonists busted in here ... treasure was already gone."

Won't anyone please Can anyone help me out here? My question is: What does 'busted' mean?
Please note my corrections above. You need to work on your spacing around punctuation. Here are the basic rules:

- Leave a space after every full stop, comma, question mark and exclamation mark if the next thing is a word.
- Don't put a space before a full stop, comma, question mark or exclamation mark.
- Don't put a space after opening quotation marks.
- Don't put a space before closing quotation marks.
- Don't put a space after an opening bracket.
- Don't put a space before a closing bracket.

Where did you see or hear this sentence? In a video game? Or in a film? What was happening in the scene? Which place does 'here' refer to?
Sure, I've been recording and looking up every single word that I'm not familiar with in the video game ( Uncharted 4 A Thief's end).
So when I come across any word that confuses me, I consult the dictionary and jot down the meaning. You see, I'm a beginner comparing with many hardworking people in English learning. I mainly depend on dictionaries and what have you, and when I don't find out any clues on the words or expressions, I try to google them, and the last step... well here I am.
So when Sam and Nate, the two treasure hunter brothers get to the big hall where they thought to be the treasury spot. They found the treasure was gone and began searching for clues and whatnot. In the end, the old brother, Sam, picked up a coin on the floor that was minted by the founders of the island and talked with his younger brother Nate wondering what happened here. By the way, when they got there, dead bodies were inside and outside of the hall, died of a mysterious fight centuries ago. The point is where is the treasure? holding the only coin, Sam said maybe the founders of this place have taken the money for themselves and gone and this really pissed off the colonists of the island.

that's why Sam said: So by the time the colonists busted in here...treasure was already gone.

Please note my corrections above. You need to work on your spacing around punctuation. Here are the basic rules:

- Leave a space after every full stop, comma, question mark and exclamation mark if the next thing is a word.
- Don't put a space before a full stop, comma, question mark or exclamation mark.
- Don't put a space after opening quotation marks.
- Don't put a space before closing quotation marks.
- Don't put a space after an opening bracket.
- Don't put a space before a closing bracket.
I'll try my best to apply these rules, thanks for your notice. Big help.

In this context busted in a slang equivalent of broke. It's not just broke but "broke in" as a burglar breaks into a house.
Thank you so very much.

In this context busted in a slang equivalent of broke. It's not just broke but "broke in" as a burglar breaks into a house.
I thought you are supposed to say"is a slang equivalent of broke."in the place of "in a slang equivalent of broke", aren't you?

No. My point is: "break in" is a phrasal verb. It's not the same in meaning as the single word "break".

No. My point is: "break in" is a phrasal verb. It's not the same in meaning as the single word "break".
However, when you said"In this context busted in a slang equivalent of broke.", I think there is supposed to be a verb in this sentence structure, am I right? If so, would it be"In this context busted in is a slang equivalent of broke."
Thank you, I really appreciate it.

Yes. This was a typo.
Wow, I thought I was wrong. So the right one should be"In this context busted is a slang equivalent of broke." Am I correct this time?

Typo has now been repaired.

I'll do my best to avoid these mistakes. Thanks for your help.
Well, that's one improvement already.

In this modern era it is fairly easy to look things up (google them). That being the case, if I said I tried to google something that would not mean I did it. Instead, it would mean the opposite. Similarly, if I said I tried to fix my car that would not mean I did it. Instead, it would mean the opposite.

"Busted in'' means the same as "broke in".

It would probably be better if you could stick to one subject at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back