Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I'm watching a TV show called "2 Broke Girls". Max and Caroline are waitresses, and they have a conversation while working in their restaurant.

Caroline: Max, can you watch my table while I run to the restroom.
Max: I already am. I've been watching that model girl pretends she's eating for 30 minutes.
Caroline: Oh, she's nice. She always tips on what she would have eaten.

What did Caroline say "would have eaten" instead of "would eat"?

Because she doesn't eat anything. However, it doesn't make sense. We don't tip based on the amount of food we have eaten but on the amount of the bill

Because she doesn't eat anything. However, it doesn't make sense. We don't tip based on the amount of food we have eaten but on the amount of the bill
If she said “would eat”, does it mean she has eaten?

I don't think "would eat" ever means "has eaten".

Caroline: Max, can you watch my table while I run to the restroom.
Max: I already am. I've been watching that model girl pretends she's eating for 30 minutes.
Caroline: Oh, she's nice. She always tips on what she would have eaten.

What did Caroline say "would have eaten" instead of "would eat"?

The woman pretending to eat at the restaurant has ordered one or more things that she is pretending to eat. She does this regularly at this restaurant; she orders things but only pretends to eat them.

Although she doesn't eat what she has ordered, she nevertheless pays for it and tips accordingly. She bases her tips on the cost of what she ordered, on the cost of what she would have eaten if she had actually eaten what she ordered.

Last edited:

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back