ride herd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Understand that in our parts it has specific meaning "to supervise with very strict control" -- nothing to do with moving people into elevators, trains, rooms :) I suspect if you don't say it in your everyday lingo it has little meaning.

It has that meaning here too. My post was in response to other comments on here about the term being used in an analogous and often wry way, involving people instead of cattle.

It has that meaning here too. My post was in response to other comments on here about the term being used in an analogous and often wry way, involving people instead of cattle.

If I'm going to be a very strict manager, could I say that I'll be riding herd on the staff in tearms of imposing strict rules?

In the context, that seems a reasonable interpretation. He used to be a fellow worker; now he wants to show them (literally) 'who's boss'.

But I've never heard. still less used, the expression, so I'll leave it to someone who knows to give you a definitive 'thumbs up'.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back