Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
When we talk about what a religion teaches, can we refer to what is taught as "religious teaching'? Or should it be 'religious teachings'?

Thanks.

I'd say 'teaching'.

When we talk about what a religion teaches, can we refer to what is taught as "religious teaching'? Or should it be 'religious teachings'?

Thanks.

Although "teaching" is usually uncountable, when it comes to religion or philosophy, "teachings" is often used -- the teachings of Jesus, the teachings of Buddha, etc.

It really depends on the context- if referring to the body of thought, I'd be more likely to use the plural, but if thinking of it as one strand of thought alongside others like law, I might use the singular. What was the sentence you wanted to use it in?

It really depends on the context- if referring to the body of thought, I'd be more likely to use the plural, but if thinking of it as one strand of thought alongside others like law, I might use the singular. What was the sentence you wanted to use it in?
Thanks, Tdol.

No sentence. But I read in Buddhist articles, the phrase used. Sometimes I see 'religious teaching' and on other occasions 'religious teachings'. That confuses me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back