Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
My question is related to the medical field. Unfortunately, people can sometimes die when a thrombus blocks an artery (I am not a medical worker myself and therefore my description can be a bit vague, but I hope you will understand me).

What do you call a situation when a thrombus (blood clot) leaves the place in a person's body where it has been formed before it blocks an artery and a person dies after that?

If necessary, I can try to specify the details that I know.

You could say it migrates from one one part of the body to another.

**where it formed

**I can be more specific

I understand "migrates from one one part of the body to another", but do you have a word describing the moment when it just leaves the place where it formed (before it starts migrating in an artery)?

As far as I know, the thrombus getting into Leonid Breznev's heart caused his death of heart attack in 1982. Leonid Breznev was the leader of the Soviet Union from 1964 till his death in 1982.

Not a teacher.

Wikipedia, for example, employs the verbs "break off" and "break free" in its Thrombus and Thrombosis articles, although I wouldn't know if that's what native speakers actually say in real life. I imagine "detach" could probably work.

I had a DVT (deep vein thrombosis) in my calf that travelled to my lungs, causing multiple pulmonary embolisms, and nearly killed me (true!) In hospital, I was told "The clot broke free and travelled to your lungs". I'm not a medical professional so I don't know if that's the medical term or if the consultant was just using a phrase that a non-medical person would understand. However, a couple of Google searches has brought up "break loose", "break off" and "break free" multiple times, including in some very dry medical papers so I suspect they're all used.

I had a DVT (deep vein thrombosis) in my calf that travelled to my lungs, causing multiple pulmonary embolisms, and nearly killed me (true!)
Seven years ago, my wife suffered a massive pulmonary embolism and died instantly. I'm pretty sure you realise how lucky you are, @emsr2d2!

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back