[Grammar] proposal verbs are followed by simple verb

Status
Not open for further replies.
The infinitive of "has to" is "have to", in the same way that the infinitive form of "has" is "have". It doesn't have a subjunctive form (in my opinion). I would use "to be obliged to" if I needed the subjunctive.

I suggest that everyone be obliged to do XXX.

The infinitive of "has to" is "have to", in the same way that the infinitive form of "has" is "have". It doesn't have a subjunctive form (in my opinion). I would use "to be obliged to" if I needed the subjunctive.

I suggest that everyone be obliged to do XXX.

Yes, I think your idea was really necessary to make me convinced, due to the fact that we were looking to find the subjunctive form of 'has to.' Thanks any way.

By the way, pardon me, what is the meaning of XXX? And why is everyone obliged to do so? ;-):cool:

"XXX" fills in for any possible activity.

It's what is called a variable in maths and computer science. You can ascribe any relevant value to it. And you can't ask why people are obliged to X until the variable is instantiated, and thus given a context.

Sorry, I tried my hand at Google and thought triple X means what Google says. Then I imagined you wanted to convey a sense of humor. Misunderstanding caused by Google - pardon us!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back