pronunciation of "eighth": āth

I suggest you bookmark Forvo.com. It's a great site, on which native speakers (of just about every language) record individual words and phrases. Here's the page for "eighth". There are five recordings for your delight and delectation. :)

Well, in "eighth" the first "h" is silent. It seems like "aith" is phonetic pronunciation. However, I always say it as "eight" with "th" at the end. (It's probably hard for ESL learners to learn how to do that.)

I've never heard of exploding letters before. 😃

In the USA some speakers say aith rather than eighth. I've always felt it was substandard, but it may be a regionalism. @Tarheel? @Skrej? @Amigos4?
@SoothingDave?

I don't agree with this dictionary at all. They are saying that the word "eight" and "eighth" are pronounced the same. They aren't. The one ends in a "t" and the other ends in a "th."

If I heard someone say "an eight of an inch" I would assume they didn't know the difference between eight and eighths.

If I go to the dictionary link, click on the pronunciation, and listen that's what it sounds like to me.

I really don't understand this question by Probus "aith rather than eighth." Those are the same sounds to me.

"aith rather than eighth." Those are the same sounds to me.
The first has no stopped sound; the second has a stopped /t/. You can't actually hear the /t/ as such, but it's there. It's a bit like the difference between hiss and hits.

I say "eighth" with an ending exactly like "fourth." I don't know if that's supposed to be standard or some regional thing.

I say "eighth" with an ending exactly like "fourth." I don't know if that's supposed to be standard or some regional thing.
It is a regionalism then. In BrE, it's pronounced "eight-th". We pronounce the single "t" (not exploded) as well as the "th". Whilst it might be written as if it should be pronounced "aith", it's not.

I checked with my neice, a resident of Pittsburg for the past twenty years or so. She has only ever heard ate-th, never aith. Therefore, I think no regionalism is involved. Nevertheless, the Merriam-Webster entry seems to recognize both pronunciations, so I have to accept both.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back