Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Please, listen to how he utters "walking too fast" (at 0:40), and "don't have no time" at 0:59, 1:35 and 2:25;
Doesn't it strike you that he clearly says the "a" like "e" here, especially considering he's British?
Thanks.

Yes, but he sounds too "e" even for an American, to my ears. I.e. he literally says "e" instead of "æ" in these words...

Last edited:
Freddie Mercury has one of the most identifiable voices in pop music. That's simply how he pronounces it.

Have you ever heard him speak, rather than sing? He has an interesting accent. It's a relatively posh Home Counties English accent but with some twangs that sound almost South African. His parents were Parsis from Bombay (now Mumbai) and he was born in Zanzibar. He went to boarding school in India and didn't move to Britain until he was 17.

He went to boarding school in India and didn't move to Britain until he was 17.
Ah, I didn't know that. I thought he'd lived in Britain since childhood.

Thank you for the replies!

Certain styles of songs go best with certain accents.

Country/Western music demands a southern American accent; reggae sounds best with a Caribbean accent; traditional Irish music would sound strange sung in anything other than an Irish accent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back