[Vocabulary] Phonetics

Status
Not open for further replies.
In fact, there's no ɛ at all on that page. Precisely .They are not mixing two phonemic systems.

The majority of British publishers use a phonemic system of letters and symbols from other alphabets. This has worked well, and still does so, for phonemic transcription used by hundreds of thousands, probably millions, of teachers and learners of English.

Using a system that uses letters and symbols from other alphabets is different than using a system that is exactly the same as another, except for one single vowel that is out of place.

That's like creating a language that is exactly like English in everything, except it uses a schwa instead of, say, "e." And that is pərfəctly finə and makəs pərfəct sənsə.
Oops, sorry, wrong language.:oops:

Hello teachers!
There are different phonetics of a single word then how can we identify it that which phonetic is going to use.
Phonetic is the biggest problem for me in english.
Thanks in advance.

well,im a learner of phonetics.but i've got many experience(i watched many youtube vids abt phonetics)(in autodidactic way.lol)
u c,eg.TIME..it's written as TAIM in phonetics symbol.1st,place ur tongue on ur alveolar ridge(d hard bump juz behind ur teeth) to make d k sound.AI SOUND is followed by T sound.AI sound is diphthong,say AH sound 1st(it's sorta like d sound u make when u open ur mouth 4 teeth check) n then glide to d I or i:sound(to make d I sound,u've gotta listen 2 d pronunciation.as 4 i:sound,u make d sounds as if ur smilin..say LONG E.....lastly,make d m sound.(or rather,d humming sound)(press d lips together lightly n make d M SOUND..)so,GET IT?

well,im a learner of phonetics.but i've got many experience(i watched many youtube vids abt phonetics)(in autodidactic way.lol)
u c,eg.TIME..it's written as TAIM in phonetics symbol.1st,place ur tongue on ur alveolar ridge(d hard bump juz behind ur teeth) to make d k sound.AI SOUND is followed by T sound.AI sound is diphthong,say AH sound 1st(it's sorta like d sound u make when u open ur mouth 4 teeth check) n then glide to d I or i:sound(to make d I sound,u've gotta listen 2 d pronunciation.as 4 i:sound,u make d sounds as if ur smilin..say LONG E.....lastly,make d m sound.(or rather,d humming sound)(press d lips together lightly n make d M SOUND..)so,GET IT?
Thanks dear
I know all about this but sometimes one word has many phonetics I have written in my second post ( Necessity).So I confuse which one is right.
But I get your point.
thanks again.

In my opinion, You just pick either of them. Like the word /dad/, I pronounce in more american way because I speak American English.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back