Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation

The relevant timestamp is [0:30].

Bellow, bid our father, the Sea King, rise from the depths, full-foul in his fury, black waves teeming with salt-foam, to smother this young mouth with pungent slime... To choke you, engorging your organs till you turn blue and bloated with bilge and brine and can scream no more, only when he, crowned in cockle shells, with slithering tentacled tales and steaming beard, takes up his fell, be-finned arm -- his coral-tined trident screeches banshee-like in the tempest -- and plunges right through your gullet, bursting you, a bulging bladder no more, but a blasted bloody film now [...]

Source: The Lighthouse, 2019. Directed by Robert Eggers.

What does "only when he ... takes up his fell, be-finned arm" mean here? Should I understand it as "till you can scream no more, except for when he takes up his arm and plunges right through your gullet"?

Last edited:
That video is not available any longer.

That video is not available any longer.
On my end it just says "Playback on other websites has been disabled by the video owner", but there's an underlined "Watch on YouTube" hyperlink below. Is that not the case for you?

In any case, I've updated the OP with a transcript.

Last edited:
I can watch it on YouTube alright.
For what it's worth, I hear "take up" instead of "takes up".
It's obviously meant as a very dramatic and furious rant.
That's all I can tell you, I'm afraid.

For what it's worth, I hear "take up" instead of "takes up".
That's definitely true, I just wrote it down as "takes", the same way I wrote "you" instead of "ye". It's written as "takes" in the script, though. I think it's just a way to give the characters' speech some archaic flavor, they say things like "I says" all the time in this film.
It's obviously meant as a very dramatic and furious rant.
Yes, it's a curse, essentially.
That's all I can tell you, I'm afraid.
Do you think my interpretation of "only when" is correct? That's the only part that confuses me.

Do you think my interpretation of "only when" is correct? That's the only part that confuses me.
I'm not really sure what exactly it's supposed to mean, and I don't think it adds that much to the overall message.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back