Noun that-clause

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Come" is the past participle, and that is what you needed.

"I told 'that she hasn't came' to you.(prepositional structure)"

That is a ridiculous "sentence".

"I told 'that she hasn't came' to you.(prepositional structure)"

That is a ridiculous "sentence".

It's probably a ridiculous sentence but I understand it. It's almost what Matthew's sentences show but his has pronouns in it.

The bottom line in English is not what you understand, It is what most people understand.

You called it ridiculous but you probably understood it and other people will probably understand it and I think Matthew explained it more understandable.

'Someone told something to someone else.'

I'd parse it this way:

Someone - the subject; told - predicator; something - object; to someone else - adverbial.

You called it ridiculous but you probably understood it and other people will probably understand it and I think Matthew explained it more understandable.
The following is my perceived meaning. Please tell me whether it is ridiculous.
'She hasn't come, and I told that to you before.'

Someone - the subject; told - predicator; something - object; to someone else - adverbial.
I think they are the subject, the main verb, the direct object, and an adverbial prepositional phrase respectively.

The following is my perceived meaning. Please tell me whether it is ridiculous.
'She hasn't come, and I told that to you before.'

That sounds right to me. What do you think?

Regardless of the parsing, I find "I told that to you before" unnatural. In BrE, it would generally be "I told you that before".

But do you think it's incorrect?

But you will rarely hear it from a NES.

But does it make sense, or is it ridiculous as you said before?

The sentence that I characterized as "ridiculous" was "I told 'that she hasn't came' to you.(prepositional structure)".

Regardless of the parsing, I find "I told that to you before" unnatural. In BrE, it would generally be "I told you that before".

Same in AmE.

It might not be heard or said but if it's grammatical, you should/can say it if you want to and people will probably understand.

Why are you stuck on that construction?

Because you and some think it shouldn't be said or it's incorrect/ungrammatical when I think it isn't and I said that will probably help you when you want to know whether a that-clause is a noun clause. Why do you keep thinking it's wrong?

Last edited:
Because it is wrong.

I think you should say "because I think it's wrong" and I think "I told you that" and "I told that to you" are the same. I think they have the same meaning. I've never heard someone say that they have a different meaning or that it is wrong.

On this forum, a grammatically understandable sentence is considered wrong as long as it is unnatural.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back