My managing director is not approachable every day.

Kumarc

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
My managing director is not approachable every day. I have to set the appointment two days ago to meet him.
Can we use 'approachable' this way in a chat context?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, but if the appointment was in the past, you should say 'I had to make an appointment two days ago to meet him'.

For general time, "I have to make an appointment two days in advance to meet him."

Someone who is not approachable is a difficult person.

I think you mean "available", not "approachable". The person is not available every day.
He is available at the office every day, but he is engaged with prior commitments.
What would be a better adjective than 'approachable'? Is 'available' a good choice?

Yes—as tarheel suggested in post #4.

I don't entirely agree. If he is engaged with prior commitments. then he is not exactly available.

He is available at the office every day, but he is engaged with prior commitments.
What would be a better adjective than 'approachable'? Is 'available' a good choice?
He might be in the office, but that doesn't mean he's available to everybody who might want to see him.

Reactions: 5jj
Let's give this some more context, in a business sense. If your boss is approachable, then they're the kind of person you would feel comfortable going to in order to ask for a pay rise, or to ask for a short-notice day off because of a personal problem. It might even not always feel as if you're in a boss/employee relationship with them. An unapproachable boss is one whose door is always closed, they don't like employees coming up to them (approaching them) and making chit-chat. (There are other ways to display one's approachability so they were just examples.)

If your boss is available, it simply means they're free right now and not doing something else.

This doesn't make sense. He can't be both available and unavailable at the same time. I'm not sure that "He is available at the office every day" means what you think it means. Are you simply trying to say that he comes into the office every day - that he's present?

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back