My boss’/boss’s car is the same as mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, yes, the famous "10 items or less" till sign! It still drives me mad. :argue:

I sympathize, but "10 items or less" is probably here to stay.

Less people feel strongly about it. ;-)

At the risk of infringing the rule against politics I must repeat this old joke about then-candidate Trump (DJT).

DJT: The less people that know about this, the better.

Adviser: Fewer.

DJT: Ssshhh! You're not supposed to call me that yet.

I thought that was going to end:

DJT: The less people that know about this, the fewer.

I don't get the joke. :-(

I'd write the boss's car. I'd be surprised to see the phrase without the final s.
Here's a headline I just spotted on Slate: "The Hosts Battling to Be Fox News' Next Tucker Carlson". Evidently at least one American editor agrees with TheParser. :)

Since we started this thread a few days ago, I've noticed several similar cases in media texts, all concerning Fox News. This from the Huffington Post, via Yahoo News:

Fox News’ Rachel Campos-Duffy just smiled on Tuesday as Navarro ranted and raved about Fauci, calling the nation’s top infectious diseases expert a “sociopath” and the “father” of the coronavirus.

I suppose it does look slightly neater on the page without the extra 's'.

It probably wouldn't be a good idea for me to bring up McDonald's's milkshakes or Wendy's's hamburgers right now. I should reconsider.

And is it the grocer's apostrophe or the grocers' apostrophe? Apple's to apples'.

It's not funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back