Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
The vertical rudder is to keep the machine headed into the wind and is not movable. This rudder is made of cloth stretched over a light wooden frame, which is nailed to the rudder sticks connecting to the main frame.

Source: https://byrongliding.com/articles/how-to-make-a-glider/

This belt is made of cloth, and it's nice and easy to take off. If this didn't already belong to me, I'd want to buy three!

Source: https://www.depop.com/products/happypappy-this-belt-is-made-of/

It would seem to me that there is a slight difference in meaning between "of" and "of".
"Of"
refers to the structure of the rudder, but "of" refers to just the material of the belt.

Is there a slight difference in meaning between "of" and "of"?

Last edited:
"Of" refers to the structure of the rudder, but "of" refers to just the material of the belt.
How can" the structure" of the rudder be stretched?

Last edited by a moderator:
"Cloth stretched over a light wooden frame" is the rudder, not the material used to make the rudder.

Last edited:
I can't see this difference you're talking about.

This rudder is made of cloth ...
This belt is made of cloth ...

The meaning of "of" in "of cloth" is the same in those two examples.

This rudder is made of cloth stretched over a light wooden frame.

I can't understand why the red part is used.
Any cloth could be used to make the rudder.
Is only cloth stretched over a light wooden frame used to make it?
We doesn't have to need only "cloth stretched over a light wooden frame" to make it.

Last edited:
To demonstrate it's the same "of" in both cases, you may replace "stretched over" with "and":

The belt is made of cloth.
The rudder is made of cloth and a light wooden frame.

To demonstrate it's the same "of" in both cases, you may replace "stretched over" with "and":

The belt is made of cloth.
The rudder is made of cloth and a light wooden frame.

What does proving that they have the same meaning have to do with replacing "stretched over" with "and"?

"Made of" can mean either the visible or main component or the entire construction.

If you asked me what my business suit was made of my answer would depend on the context. Normally I would just say "wool" which is the visible fabric. That is how clothes are normally described. If we were talking in detail about how clothes were made I would explain that the lining was viscose and the padding canvas.

'Stretched over a light wooden frame' simply helps the reader visualize the construction. It doesn't change the fact that the rudder is made of cloth.

However, someone might reasonably be confused as to how a piece of relatively soft, flexible fabric could be used to steer. It helps to clarify it's not just a piece of cloth hanging loosely.

If you read the article, you'll notice that this is the same general process for constructing the other components of the glider. Build a frame of light strong wood, then fasten tightly stretched fabric over the wooden frame.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back