Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What does love/want/need/like mean? I know it means "to desire something" but is there another way to describe it?

Last edited:
Those three words have different meanings. Why don't you try to use them in some sentences and we'll see how you're using them?

I love/want/need/like you. Is that good?

I just want to know if there is another way to describe love, want, need, or like.

It is still not clear to me what you want. Are you asking for synonyms for each of those words?
I could check for synonyms but when I see the definition, most say "to desire something" and I want to know if there are other simpler words to say/define it. Do you understand now?

I understand what love might be and to me it might be something/someone that doesn't bother you or that you hate but is there another word? and is there another word to describe/say hate?

I asked this because those words sound too abstract to me and I think I understand now but I want to know what y'all think.

Last edited:
Not a teacher.

When you say you love something, you are expressing your feelings/liking.
When you say you want something, you desire to own/possess it.
When you say you need something, it can mean a lot of things.

1) That thing is essential to you. (You don't necessarily like it.)
I need oxygen and water to survive. / I need coffee to stay awake.
The word need cannot be replaced by the other two words.

2) You're begging the person receiving this.
I need you. Please don't leave me. / I need this job.
The word need cannot be replaced by the other two words.

3) You're asking for a favour.
I need a paper clip. (You want someone to give you a paper clip.)
The word need can be replaced by want.

Last edited:
Those three words have multiple meanings. We need to know the contexts to apply them.

Offhand, "want" and "need" are like opposites. When you need something, you do not have a choice. When you want something, you have a choice. You pick that something among other things.

Loving something is a deeper feeling than "liking something".

Last edited:
I think 'need/want' could be very different from 'love'. For example, 'I need/want you to be my slave' does not mean the speaker loves the listener.

Not a teacher.

I think you guys are right but I asked because I don't really see action in those verbs but thanks to everyone who helped.

What does love/want/need/like mean? I know it means "to desire something" but is there another way to describe it?

Desire seems to be a good overall synonym for all four.

When you love someone and you want them and you need them and you like them, you really have a desire or yearning for them. There are lots of synonyms. But as far as human feelings are concerned, I'd say it is a yearning.

--lotus

I understand but to me desire and yearning are too abstract that I can't really see or understand the action. To me those words might have a lot of different pictures but I think I understand and thanks again.

I understand but to me desire and yearning are too abstract that I can't really see or understand the action. To me those words might have a lot of different pictures but I think I understand and thanks again.

Bear in mind that, with the exception of nouns, you can't really make a "picture" of anything. You're right that desire and yearning are abstract - you feel them, you don't see them.

I understand but to me desire and yearning are too abstract that I can't really see or understand the action.
I think 'desire/yearning' do not necessarily denote action. For example, a person having a desire/yearning for a cabin cruiser might be too poor to buy it.

Not a teacher.

"I want you, I need you, but there ain't no way I'm ever gonna love you."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5hWWe-ts2s

I have never heard that song but thanks.

I think 'desire/yearning' do not necessarily denote action. For example, a person having a desire/yearning for a cabin cruiser might be too poor to buy it.

Not a teacher.

I think you are right and I think when I asked that, I was thinking about the things you do when you desire something but I think I understand now.

Last edited:
Many times when one desires something, one doesn't do anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back